If you can dream it, you can build it! Thomas Jefferson, Architect: Palladian Models, Democratic Principles and the Conflict of Ideals is the inspiration for this day devoted to building and creating. Children of all ages and adults are invited to learn, play, and build. Create a castle out of blocks, design a tower out of LEGO blocks, or draw your own fantasy city.
THROUGHOUT THE DAY
- Put your own mark on our Chrysler Castle in Huber Court.
- Take a photo in front of the Roman Coliseum.
- Discover how a dream becomes reality on a 3D printer from Slover Library.
- Explore Thomas Jefferson, Architect with a Family Activity Tote (available at the Welcome Desk).
- Color a famous phrase from the Declaration of Independence in the Margaret Shepherd Ray Student and Family Gallery.
- Craft your own building in the education workshop.
Archi-venture Tours–Discover architecture from around the world during a kid-friendly tour of the Chrysler collection.
- Every half hour from 10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
Tallest Tower Contest–Gather your team for the ultimate engineering competition! With just spaghetti and marshmallows, build the tallest tower possible in 10 minutes.
- 11 a.m.
- 1 p.m.
Story readings in the Seminar Room
- 10:30 a.m.: Iggy Peck, Architect Iggy Peck is the best when it comes to building. It’s too bad Iggy’s second-grade teacher doesn’t appreciate his talent. It looks as if he will have to trade in his T-square for a box of crayons until a fateful field trip proves just how useful a mast builder can be.
- 11:30 a.m.: Rosie Revere, Engineer Rosie Revere can turn rubbish into great inventions. If only she would share her creations with the world! Learn about how Rosie overcomes her fear of failure.
- 12:30 p.m.: If I Built A House Hear about the house that Jack dreamed up, complete with slides, a racetrack, and a flying room!
- 1:30 p.m.: Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything Learn about the many interests and accomplishments of Thomas Jefferson through this fascinating biography!
- 2:30 p.m.: Roberto the Insect Architect Roberto the termite has dreams of becoming an architect. Will his move to the big bug city help him achieve it?
Noon Demonstration at the Glass Studio–The Glass Studio team will build works from glass during an architecture-themed demonstration.
Registration is recommended.
This program has been funded in part by a grant from Virginia Humanities.Sign Up!