Chrysler Museum Reopening FAQ
Updated November 24, 2020
We are excited to welcome you back to the Chrysler Museum of Art!
When is the Museum open?
- The Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday with a reduced capacity.
Is the Perry Glass Studio open for demonstrations and classes?
- The Perry Glass Studio is offering demonstrations and classes with limited capacity and appropriate distancing. We have established new practices and implemented new equipment to allow for safe glassmaking.
How should I prepare to visit the Museum?
- Stay Home if Sick: If you’re experiencing any signs of illness, please delay your visit.
- Face Covering: Visitors ages 3 and up are required to wear a face covering. Disposable masks will be available for a recommended donation of $2.
- Use the Marked Entrance: At the main entrance, please only enter through the doors specified “Entrance.”
- Reserve Your Ticket: The Museum will be using free timed tickets that stagger entry in half-hour increments. Tickets can be reserved online or by calling the Museum at 757-664-6200. Gallery Hosts will monitor entries and exits and, if capacity allows, will grant entry to visitors without tickets. If the Museum is at capacity, a standby line will be established. Visitors will be required to stand 6 feet apart while they wait.
- Scan Tickets Upon Entry: Visitors will scan their own tickets at the Welcome Desk.
- Visitor Guide: Printed Visitor Guides are available for pickup at the Welcome Desk and will not be reused. A digital version of the Visitor Guide is also available for smartphones.
How is the Museum changing its policies?
- The Museum open with reduced capacity.
- We are offering a variety of virtual programs, including curator and artist talks and hands-on workshops, until we can safely accommodate larger groups of people for in-person programs.
What safety precautions will the Museum implement?
- The use of face coverings is mandatory for employees, volunteers, and vendors in all common areas until further notice.
- New plexiglass barriers will protect employees and guests from direct contact at the Museum Welcome Desk, Glass Studio Welcome Desk, Education Lounge, and the Museum Shop.
- Museum staff have increased cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Employees who test positive for COVID-19, are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, or have had close contact with a person experiencing symptoms or diagnosed with COVID-19 are required to stay home for at least 14 days.
- The Museum will restrict professional travel until further notice.
What can I see at the Museum?
- The Museum’s galleries, featuring artwork spanning 5,000 years of art history and special exhibitions, will be open.
What special exhibitions will be on view?
- Come Together, Right Now: The Art of Gathering
- Sarah Choo Jing: Art of the Rehearsal
- Alejandro Cartagena: Photo Structure / Foto Estructura
What spaces are closed currently?
- The Wonder Studio, the Museum’s interactive family gallery, as well as the Reading Room will remain closed until further notice.
Is the Museum restaurant open?
- Effective Monday, December 14, Wisteria will be temporarily closed.
Can I visit the Museum Shop?
- The Museum Shop capacity is limited to four people at a time, and guests are asked to swipe their own credit cards. If you prefer to shop online, visit shop.chrysler.org.
Are the restrooms open for use?
- Restrooms are open for use and sanitized multiple times per day.
Can I rent the Museum for events?
- The Museum will follow government recommendations for the size of gatherings. Museum events are currently limited to a capacity of 10.